Sunday, August 29, 2004

About mod-ism #3

Having read an interview with Paul Weller in "Mojo"'s last issue, I have back these memories from my youth, 1965 ..67 . I had been in England around those times through school exchange programs. I was based the first time in Slough (Bucks), then Reading (Berks) . The mods were so coooool, in their immaculate green parkas covered with buttons and riding those customized scooters.

When was it ? 67 in London, I recognized Procol Harum musicians in a street of Soho, they were dressed in the same eccentric clothes as on the picture of the French single I had at home (Whiter..). They were not mods, just Euro flower children.
To stay tuned with those mods which fascinated me, I was listening to the Action, to Creation, and obviously to the Who ..did not see them live before 68, but when I did ..was flabbergasted by Moon's way of drumming.. it was around "Pictures of Lily" . That year the shock for me had been Hendrix in his Dharma gipsy outfit .. I had stayed deaf the two days following the concert. I remember a girl looking at me in a way I had never experienced before, I was feeling so bizarre with those heart speeding feelings.

The well respected mods always were the Kinks anyway...

"As long as I gaze on Waterloo sunset
I feel in Paradise" (Ray Davies)

1 Comments:

Blogger rb said...

that mojo has a nice little birthday story for elvis costello in new york, and a wonderful description of his symphony, il sogno

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?