Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Old recordings and Boston memories #10

It all started with a live recording of the Modern Lovers at the longBranch saloon. These were the cleaned up live tapes coming from Ernie Brooks. They were also issued as "precise Modern Lovers". I had dreamed for so long to hear a live set from the Modern Lovers ... and eventually it was even better than expected. Some songs were interpreted as crucial evidences of a teenager rebelling against the obvious underground culture of the Woodstock nation. Those were words of pain mixed with tears and frustration. But also some jolly good fun as from the regular Beach Boy fan point of view. "I'm straight" and "the mixer" are pictures of both tendencies. But we all knew there was more unreleased stuff and the bootleg market was a bit empty with ML items...just had to wait.

In 97, I am in Boston for the first time. I am staying at friends' house in Sommerville, they are linked to the local music scene and I manage to go on Jonathan Richman's tracks.. The Commons park where the Modern Lovers used to play live, a place also glorified by the Real Kids in their beautiful "Commons at noon". I go on route 128, I find Filene's and that Howard Johnson..
I visit special record shops and there it is, waiting for me that collection of early demos and live ML recordings.. this "songs of rememberance for old girlfriends" CD. On the booklet Jonathan looks very young , he is looking upward with his face down, the position of a not fully grown-up teenager still unsure of himself. John Felice is wearing those awful glasses which gives him a Gloria Steinem look when he is two years younger than Jonathan. This CD is a marvel, some of the songs found here are given a subtle and dramatic treatment like the title track, "S. of R", "A plea for tenderness", "Such loneliness", or "I'm dropping my friends" .. It will be quite long before Jonathan reaches these peaks on records again .. the innocence and the gravity. This is the definitive Modern Lovers record, a rare wine to savour slowly but eternally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?