Saturday, February 12, 2005

A rock'n roll band for the highway ..#50

Today while visiting the "American Oldies record store" on Warwick Boulevard I found an old issue of "Fusion" , the Boston rock mag in which Jonathan Richman used to write reviews about the Velvet Underground and the Stooges latest releases during the seventies.


And there it is, the old ad for the Modern Lovers. Jonathan is standing straight, in that famous attitude which would twenty years later have him laugh at himself in in his own re-work of Muddy Waters' "Mannish boy" known as "I am a jerk". The spiky heart logo of the band is below him. Ernie and Jerry are on each side, they might have played out of tune but they certainly know how to look serious. This picture tells a lot and makes it obvious to me that this band was awesome, my buddy Felice is missing though.
I found some interesting items in that shop from the Clash in 78 and the cd re-issue from Hatfield and the North 's "the Rotter's club" which is the main obsession of the hero of Jonathan Coe's eponymous novel ..

which reminds me that twenty years ago I had written something , never published, which was called "Jonathan, can you hear me ?", that was about the 13, about our lifes in Paris then, and about Jonathan obviously already an influence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me?